Posted: June 11, 2014
Maplight (see link below) does reports on politicians sources of money. They are independent and deal with the facts. What they have reported on Tom Udall (from January 2008 to December 2013 ) is very revealing.
Tom Udall has been running hard on getting money out of politics. In fact, he has introduced a Constitutional Amendment to let politicians decide who can give money and how much. Let’s see where he gets his money.
- Total campaign funds (not counting money from political parties and other candidates) is $8,259,065.
- The top six interest groups funding Tom Udall:
- Democrat/liberal groups
- Securities/investment groups
- Real estate
- Healthcare providers
- The top six organizations giving money:
- Act Blue
- State of New Mexico
- League of Conservation Voters
- University of New Mexico
- Branch Law Firm
- 62% of his campaign money is from out of district.
- 56% of his campaign money comes from out of state.
- The top 5 states that give him money are:
- New Mexico
- District of Columbia (not a state)
- New York
- The top zip codes giving money are in Santa Fe, New Mexico and Washington D.C.
A quick glance at the facts suggests that Tom Udall gets a lot of money from people who aren’t New Mexicans, and has a huge campaign chest from votes he has made that help his contributors. We are sure the same is true of all the politicians in Washington.
What we don’t like is politicians that don’t think we can check their records and find who they are beholding too, and then make big sounds about protecting the voters from the corrupting influence of money in politics. Come on Tom Udall … we are not all asleep out here in New Mexico.
If you are going to talk the talk, walk the walk!
Full article here >>>.